Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Slow and Low... that is the Tempo

So I started training for a triathlon a couple weeks ago. This is the first time I've ever started exercising without weight loss as a goal. It's such a different experience. I'm really enjoying the bike rides (except when I'm biking against 14 mph winds) and I'm starting to enjoy the jogging for brief periods of time. I definitely like the feeling of accomplishment and progress. It's so nice to get done with a workout and know I did something I couldn't have done a week ago. That part I like. The hard part is trying to get enough workouts in. Part of me wishes I was spending more time training and the other part of me is happy to be spending as much time with my daughter as I can, sleeping as much as I can, getting other stuff done around the house that has to be done. So, I probably won't have as much training in as I could before the competition, and I probably will be one of the last people to cross the finish line, but I'm happy with the balance in my life right now. And I'll be thrilled just to cross the finish line!

5 comments:

Keri Donald said...

I'm so proud of you guys for doing the triathalon! Hopefully I'll be there with you next year! :)

Angelle said...

Wow, a triathalon! That will definitely be a huge accomplishment just to complete it. I remember completing my 1st 5K (not really comparable). I had never run before so it was huge just to finish. When is the competition? I will be rooting for you!

Nikki said...

It's October 1st. Thanks!!

stacy said...

wow...thats awesome, good luck. i always think something like that sounds "fun" but i dont have anyone here to do it/train with....maybe after we move i'll have peer support...where's it at???

Christina said...

Wow that is really cool. I agree with Stacy. I always think that stuff sounds cool but Joe isn't interested in that kind of stuff. Good luck with your training!!