A few weeks ago, I started this confessional, and now I'm finally able to finish it. Three more little known facts about me...
4. I'm half Cuban, which most of you probably know already. What probably no body knows is that, until my parents got divorced when I was in second grade, I lived in a traditional multi-generational Cuban home. And by this I mean only that my great grandmother and great aunt lived in our house with us. I'm sure this wasn't super easy on my parents who probably wanted more independence, but it was absolutely wonderful for me. I had tons of attention and affection at all times. My great grandmother (who I affectionately called "Yayi") and my great aunt ("Liny") spent tons of time playing with me, reading to me, dressing me up in their costume jewelry, and singing songs to me in Spanish, Catalan and French. I very distinctly remember sitting in either one of their laps while they sang to me and stroked my arms. It was my favorite way to fall asleep when I was with them and something I cherish to this day, and have already passed on to Halle.
5. This is sort of an extension to the confession above but several years ago Jason noticed that sometimes in the middle of the night, I'll be sound asleep with one arm straight up, perpendicular to my body. It took me awhile to realize that I leave my arm up at night for Yayi and Liny, in case they want to stroke it and sing Spanish songs to me. I absolutely love that I remember them so dearly in my subconscious. Its amazing that things from your childhood stay with you like that, sometimes without you even knowing they're there. We've already caught Halle sleeping with her arm up a few times. Not sure if her arm is up for me to stroke, or if Yayi and Liny sometimes spend their nights smiling down on Halle. Either way makes me happy. :)
6. And my final confession, and I did save the best for last...
After 13 months of trying and trying (which certainly wasn't all bad), I'M FINALLY PREGNANT!! I'm only about 9 weeks along, so I probably shouldn't be broadcasting it yet, but I'm too excited not to share the good news. Looks like end of June/beginning of July due date. We'll get an exact date after our ultrasound on Thursday. So far, everything is going well. I have had days of sheer exhaustion, plenty of bouts with morning sickness and days when my emotions get the better of me, but all in all I can't complain. Every nauseous feeling comes with a smile, knowing my body is just adjusting for the new, and very welcome, visitor making himself (or herself) a comfy little home. Another wonderful reason to give thanks this year!
Sunday, November 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

14 comments:
Congrats! What a wonderful Thanksgiving present for you guys!
Kathy
Yay! I am so happy and excited for you! And just so you know... July 6th is a great day to have a baby :)
Congrats!
That really is a great confession! We are so excited for your family. Hive next year will be even more kid-centric with all the new ones who weren't here last year yet. Can't wait to hear more details!
YAY!!!! :)
Yea! Yea! Yea! Can't wait to hear about all of the doctor's appointments... especially the one where we hear if Halle's going to have a new brother or sister! Halle's going to be such a good big sis!
woohoo..so happy for you all!
Yay and double yay! We couldn't be any more thrilled for you guys! - Chelsi
Fantastic! Many, many congratulations. And I didn't know you were half-Cuban, either... :)
I love your story about Yayi & Liny! I remember going to Century Village ??? with you in high school and laying by the pool over there.
Joe told me about baby #2 this weekend when I was in San Fran! I am sooooo excited for you! I know this is the best Thanksgiving/Birthday gift you could have this year!
Love and hugs,
Arie
i'm so excited for you!!! Halle is going to be such a good big sis :-)
Congrats to you!! I didn't know you guys were trying. You must be so happy! I know what it's like to try and try forever! Very frustrating (especially when everyone else around you is getting preggo!)
Congratulations...to all three of you.
Happy Birthday!
Love the Gallers
So, I'm clearly WAY out of the loop. I had to hear from Joe on IM because I'm AWFUL at keeping up with these blogs. I am sooooo happy for you! Best birthday present ever! :) (oh yeah, happy belated birthday!) love you both!
Post a Comment