Thursday, September 13, 2007
My Water Baby
So, despite my plan to take Halle swimming 3-5 days a week all summer (which I did for about a month back in May), we really haven't taken her to the pool much at all. We did go this evening though, and we were sooo impressed with Halle's confidence in the water! She's always been really good about letting us dunk her, but today... every time we'd dunk her, she'd come up smiling and signing for more! So we kept doing it. :) Then we started seeing if she'd swim from Jason to me. She doesn't kick or really propel herself, so I wasn't expecting anything. It just felt like the right time to actually let go and see how she did. And she did great! Didn't really swim, but she was totally comfortable with us letting her go for a second or two. Every time she came back up in my arms, she signed for more. Jason and I were so impressed, we must have let her "swim" to me about twenty times! After awhile I decided to see if she could float on her back without screaming. At first she was really uncomfortable on her back (even with me holding her), so I quietly started singing the Dora theme song to her and it worked. It calmed her down and she relaxed and stayed on her back (with me holding her) for the whole Dora theme song. And when the song was over, she'd flip over into my arms, and sign more, and we'd do it again. She floated through the Dora song at least three times. :) She also had tons of fun walking up and down the steps. I love how much she's enjoying all of this, and so glad that we're doing it together, the three of us. When we get back from our vacation, I may have to steal Erica's underwater camera again. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
It sounds like you have a real water baby. I'm glad she likes the pool.
I am so jealous! Did you do anything special with her when she was little to get her to like being underwater? Leah screams even when we wash her hair in the tub! Otherwise she likes being in the water, just not in her face. I am really wanting to put her in lessons like Annabelle had, where they teach survival skills.
yeah, thats amazing...leah is such a baby. underwater?!?!? yeah right. leah would open her mouth and swallow a gallon of water. UGGH. oh well. Halle is awesome.
Way to go, Ms. Halle!!!
Post a Comment