Monday, February 04, 2008

Drinking Responsibly

I recently did some research on caffeine consumption during pregnancy which I thought was worth sharing. I really enjoy a can of diet soda every once and awhile, and wanted to make sure that I wasn't putting my unborn baby at risk by indulging in such a simple pleasure. Here's what I found:

Based on the study published in The American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology a few weeks ago, women who are pregnant or trying to conceive should limit their daily caffeine intake to 200 milligrams or less.

Twelve ounce cans of the following sodas (the ones I drink) contain the following amounts of caffeine:
Diet Mt. Dew - 55mg
Diet Cherry Coke - 34mg
Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi - 36mg
Diet Sunkist Orange - 42mg
Diet Dr. Pepper - 41mg
Diet Nestea with Lemon - 27mg

I was relieved to learn that I can have one can a day and be well below the risk limit. In my research I also learned that The American Dietetic Association has published that the use of aspartame during pregnancy is safe, which is wonderful news because once you get hooked on diet, you just can't go back to regular soda.

Here's to guilt-free indulgence! :)

3 comments:

Rhiannon said...

Good info to know. I might be needing it soon...:) I could never do diet though!

Angelle said...

Glad to hear my sweet tea addiction was not harmful to Erin. :)

Christina said...

Me too :-)